Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lessons Learned Halfway Around the World


I haven’t gotten the chance to write anything for the blog, so I’ve chosen our last day to write some of my thoughts down. It’s kind of long, but hope you enjoy a peak into what I’ve been thinking these last 10 days.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2nd trip to India. After last year’s trip I fell in love with this country and got bitten by the mission bug again. My first mission trip was to Mexico when I was 13. Since then God has given me a heart for the world and lately I’ve felt Him pulling more and more on my heart. I’ve tried to keep that passion burning and not put it on the back burner like I have done in the past, which is why I was so excited this trip could be arranged this year.

From the time I heard there was a possibility of a trip I started praying about how God wanted me to be involved in missions. I’ve always had it in the back of my head that maybe someday I could do a longer trip or maybe even be a full time missionary, but didn’t know if I had the guts for it so soon. In the last few months, I have repeatedly had many of my married and single friends telling me that if they were my age and didn’t have anything to tie them to the States that they would be in another country serving as a missionary.

So I’ve had these ideas in my head that this 2nd trip to India would help me decide if I was ready to do a longer trip or maybe even do something full-time. As I’ve prepared for this trip and even as we drove from the airport in Mumbai to Pune, I kept praying that God would reveal what His plans were for me on this trip. So I kept trying to be “aware” as I worked with the kids at Santvana or the girls at the orphanage in Delhi, or even as we would walk around market shopping. Maybe there would be something that God showed me that meant I could handle being here longer.

We were blessed to be able to attend Delhi Bible Fellowship on Sunday. This was my 3rd time to go to church there and I loved it. Pastor Jeremy spoke on “God’s Cure for Your Confusion”. He talked about different kinds of stresses that distract us and how, no matter what stresses there are, they all need to be surrendered to God by letting go of control, being content, laying down plans, and leaving everything up to God. I won’t go into the entire sermon here, but this sermon helped me immensely. I have been trying so hard to prepare myself for God to descend from heaven in some way to reveal His plans for me that I haven’t just been content to be where I am right now, where HE has me right now, and wait on HIS timing, not my own for what’s going to happen in my life. This is true for more things than just how God wants me to be involved in missions, so obviously it should be true for everything in my life. His timing is perfect and He has perfect plans for me and will reveal them when it’s time. I pray for continued contentment and reliance on God as I do His will for me in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Followers